Question: What is the main question you would ask on a product management job interview before accepting the job if you would like to choose the best company?
Answer from Gopal Shenoy of Product Management Tips: This is a difficult question to answer because there is no one question that will help you choose the best company. Here are the questions I would ask:
- Why are you hiring a product manager?
- What does product management do today or what is it expected to do going forward (if you are going to be the first product manager in the company)
- Who does product management report to?
- Who determines the future direction of your products – marketing, sales or engineering?
- How does the company manage customer interaction events such as customer visits, focus groups, customer surveys etc? How often is this done?
- How would you best describe the company culture?
- What are the company’s short-term and long-term challenges?
- What could derail the company going forward?
The answers to above eight questions should allow you to get an overall picture on the role of product management within the company. For more details on how the answers will help you, read my blog article: Unearthing the product management landscape within a company